Saturday, December 1, 2012

Success On Opening Day at GP

Let's get to the race of the day the Claiming Crown Rapid Transit.  The 6th race on the Gulfstream Card.  As you know I settled on the 5 horse Off The Jak who was 10-1 in the morning line.  For a large part of the betting leading up to the race, it looked as if the 10-1 would hold.  A lot of late money finally came in on Off The Jak and we went off at still acceptable 7-1.

Off The Jak got off well and assumed his customary postion as the race leader.  So far, so good as this is where he likes to run.  All the while, he was being pressed by another Chalk Eating Weasel contender Won Fast Bullet.  Bernie The Maestro assumed the role of stalker sitting in the cat bird seat and tracking the two leaders.  So far everything is going to plan.

What about Peb Hughes, the intrepid and observant reader may ask.  Well I was right about that bogus 6-1 morning line as PH went off as the 9-5 favorite. I was also right about the DRF "best bet" kiss of death.  I don't know about you, but my idea of a "best bet" is not a 4-5 favorite that anyone with just a passing acquaintance with a racing form can and will come with.  I have found that the DRF best bets almost come to the level of tosses.  I don't go that far because sometimes even 4-5 favorites do win, but many times they do not.
 
As they came around the turn, Bernie made his move which proved to be too much for Won Fast Bullet who was unable to provide much resistance at this point.  Off The Jak did not go down without a fight, but it was clear that the day was going to belong to Bernie the Maestro. 

The Bernie the Maestro-Off The Jak exacta payed a cozy 59.20.  Won Fast Bullet was able to stay on for the show and the Trifecta if you went that deep into the pick paid 133.30 for a mere one dollar bill.  Not bad work if I do say so myself.

Later that day I managed to hit, oh, dare I say it, the Pick 4 paying $1765.05.  In both race 8 and race 10, horses I intended to use were scratched and I had to make last minute substitutions to replace the absent runners.  That is why you have to follow me on twitter @cobb42 as I Tweeted my final P4 sequence once the scratches were accounted for.

 These happened to be fortuitous substitutions as both came home first to complete the four race sequence.  That and a being on the right side of a sphincter tightening photo brought home the bacon.  Fortuna smiled upon the weasel.





No comments: