Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Chalk Eating Weasel Is Now A Cultural Reference!

Yes, my friends, you read me correctly. I went back to Gulfstream Park today for the Thursday card. I made it a point to introduce myself to Ron Nicoletti, the track handicapper because I wanted to ask him about Touch Too Much.

I introduced myself to Ron, (I can call him Ron now, right?) and in the interest of full disclosure told him that I am a proud member of the TBA and wrote a blog called The Chalk Eating Weasel Report. He seemed to appreciate the name. I warned him that anything he said would be used against him.

I asked Ron about Touch Too Much. He (Ron) told me that the trainer, Patrick Reynolds, was actually quite optimistic about the horses chances prior to the race and thought she would win. That doesn't really shed any light on why the performance was so poor, but, at least I have the feeling that it was an honest effort. Ron told me he hadn't noticed the pre-race non warm up, but that's not surprising to me as I'm sure he is very busy during the day, and I am greatful for the time he gave me.

Fast forward to pre race 4 when Ron was giving the pre-race analysis. Ron's top choice in this race, and mine as well, was the heavy, and at the time even money favorite, was Nolan's Territory. Right there in front of everyone at Gulfstream, simulcast monitors across the world, and home wagering computer screens Ron declared himself to be a "Chalk Eating Weasel" as he went for the chalk in race 4.



A fellow Chalk Eating Weasel, Ron Nicoletti, hard at work.

In another race 4 event, there were a couple of nice ladies sitting behind me in grandstand with their husbands. I think they were from out of town and not serious race fans. Just betting on names they liked or whatever. Seeing all my preparations, they must have figured I actually knew what I was doing ;-). So they would ask me my opinions about various horses, and I would tell them what I thought. Well the 4th race was looking rather chalky and the ladies wanted some high priced action, so I pointed out to them a horse that was going off at 19-1, Cruzatte that looked to be alive. Well Cruzatte didn't win, but came close finishing a closing 2nd. The ladies were happy enough with my prowess that they bought me a beer anyway. Below is a picture of those lovely women.




Will pay beer for tips
Now the national championship is coming on, just 10 minutes from where I live and practically next door to Calder Race Course. Go Gators.

3 comments:

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Good stuff Chalky. Is there a bush track close enough to you to visit and write about?

Chalk Eating Weasel said...

Tampa Bay Downs is about a 5 hour drive. I've never made the trip, but it would be fun if I can talk the Mrs. into it.

Does Calder qualify? I spend alot of time there when they're open

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Good one. Each year I go to Sunflower Downs' one day summer meeting. Sunflower Downs is one of three bush tracks out here in B.C. Sagebrush Downs runs several weekends each summer; Kin Park schedules a few races each year too. The three tracks are what's left of what was once a track in every town culture. Rampaging Alf was probably the best of the lot that came off that circuit to do better in the city. You can only bet such tracks if you are there in person. Similar circuits exist in Eastern Washington and Alberta. Dusty, dangerous damn good time.