Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gulfstream Park Opens

Gulfstream Park opens today! I'll be there today, probably not tomorrow and then every day they're open the rest of the week as I'm on vacation, still, for the next week and want to soak in as much as I can before going back to day to day drudgery of a worker bee.

Calder is now dark for the next 4 months or so, although they do continue to have daily simulcasting. Since they are open on Monday, I will probably go there to play Fair Grounds on Monday. I showed a net profit for the season at Calder and am currently killing at the Fair Grounds.

Unfortunately, Gulfstream chewed me up and spit me out last year. I'm hoping to remedy that situation this year. Last year, I was floundering around a lot and experimenting with a lot of different handicapping methods. This year I'm pretty much settled in a confident in what I'm doing using a common sense approach applying the basics of Class, Speed, and Conditions. Hopefully I can continue to apply this approach with success at Gulfstream.

Today being Saturday, I know you can't wait for my Public Handicapper's prognostications. Two of the contest races are a Gulfstream, so you'll get an early handle on how the season might go for me.

The 4th Race at GP is the 100k Spectacular Bid Stakes for 3 year olds contested at 6 furlongs on the main track


#2 You Lucky Mann
7-5
2-1
#7 Silent Valor
7-2
5-1
#1 Notonthesamepage
9-2
7-1

#2 convincingly blew away 100k CRC field with something left has had good freshining layoff and could win even with a 10pt. Regression. #7 G3 winner as 2yo has been training well, but may be pointed to bigger races #1 Led first two calls of 2yo G1 at Keeneland turns back for 2009 debut.

The 8th race is the G3 Hal's Hope Contested at 1 mile on the main track.


#12 Bribon
3-1
9-2
#3 Fearless Vision
7-2
5-1
#8 Now A Victor
9-2
7-1
#11 Anak Nakal
6-1
9-1
#12 Loves the distance and has amazing G1 type figures at the distance. #3 is 4 for 5 at the distance and 2 for 5 at GP #8 Has done nothing wrong in 5 starts and will likely be the favorite. #11 G2 winner who only seems to score for a price so I won't be fooled by low odds on this one.

The 11th race at Turfway Park is the 50k Turfway Prevue Stakes for 3 year olds at 6.5 furlongs on the polytrack, or whatever they got


#1 Lethal Heat
8-5
5-2
#2 Jibboom
5-2
4-1
#3 La Tee
6-1
9-1

#1 has been resting since Aug after running strong in the G1 Del Mar Oaks. Showed steady improvement throughout the year and might be the best if she come off the bench firing. #2 This G2 winner has Frankel/Gomez connection and cannot be ignored #3 Like her young rider, this one has potential to be good, but the up and coming Rosario isn't quite getting the premier mounts yet, so use this one at high odds and in exotics.


And finally, the G3 Monrovia Hdcp for Fillies and Mares 4 and up going 6.5 furlongs on the tricksy downhill turf course.


#1 Lethal Heat
8-5
5-2
#2 Jibboom
5-2
4-1
#3 La Tee
6-1
9-1

#1 has been resting since Aug after running strong in the G1 Del Mar Oaks. Showed steady improvement throughout the year and might be the best if she come off the bench firing. #2 This G2 winner has Frankel/Gomez connection and cannot be ignored #3 Like her young rider, this one has potential to be good, but the up and coming Rosario isn't quite getting the premier mounts yet, so use this one at high odds and in exotics.

Remember, my selections are worth exactly what you paid for them. Also my goal is not necessarily to pick the winner. Rather, I prefer to figure what the proper odds are for the contenders in the race and try to exploit the differentials to my benefit. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. And sometimes, even if I'm right, I'm wrong. Furthermore, my line is completely qualitative based on my experiences and intuition. If anyone has a surefire quantitative method for making an odds line, please tell me.

Good luck and enjoy the races.

2 comments:

Wind Gatherer said...

I should be down in GP today were it not for a snafu at work. Maybe by the end of this month.

Chalk Eating Weasel said...

Let me know when you plan to be here, I'd love to meet you.